The Close Knit podcast aims to hold space for conversation about the ways we use fiber to process world and life events
This week I spoke to a couple of people who inspire me so much. aaaaand spoiler also inspire each other because they’re MARRIED. These people are - Lily Schlosser of Eli and Barry and James Davis of Engaged Weaving. You won’t believe it, but I didn’t know that the two of them had anything to do with each other, I was separately following each of them, and just about died when I found out how they were related. In this open and vulnerable chat, James and Lily talk about how important fibre arts and the fibre arts community have been for them in processing their life events and supporting their mental health. James opens up about how his weaving practice has been a vehicle for processing and healing from grief and loss and Lily discusses her journey with anxiety and how supportive her practice of clothes making has been and how sharing her struggles with anxiety openly has given her a new and fuller way of connecting with her audience. There’s so much in this chat - so many ways that Lily and James show up to vulnerability wholeheartedly, and I am incredibly grateful that they were willing to share in this way.
(above) james' work (below) clothing lily designs and creates for eli and barry
The Close Knit Podcast is supported by the following people (& more!) through Patreon. If you'd like to support the podcast and get access to sneak peeks + additional content for patrons-only, please check out patreon!
Amanda Faulkner Jaclyn Rogerson Charlotte Helen Natasha Celm AC Carter Alison See Lyle Mills Jess Daniels Sarah Belcher Cath Derksema Anna Martinez Jen Deery Candice Hiles Lauren Champs Alicia Levine Sandra Blue Morgan Capestrain Justice McNeil Natalie Sweeney Emily Tan James Davis Brittany Hoffman Rachel Beckman leah pinault
People/ Things we mentioned in the podcast:
- Sarah Neubert: James' weaving teacher and to be honest about what's going on in his life
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Hannah Gadsby and her show Nanette, how we process trauma and how we collectively hold trauma (or we do not)
- Lily is making a Cline sweater
- Fiber Camp - Lily and James are going to Small Acre Farm for fiber camp in Fort Collins CO
- Guilds are an amazing resource - find your local one! some of them have grants to give you!
- Natalie Novak: Combed Thunder
- James wrote a submission for Roving Magazine - EDIT: James got in!! Here is his writing
Find James: instagram
- Subscribe: Itunes or Pocket Casts & now
- Follow along on Instagram
- Get access to exclusive content, sneak peeks and more on patreon
Like what you're hearing?
Awesome! I'm glad you've found your way to this podcast. Please feel free to subscribe, leave a review on iTunes (this makes all the difference to reaching more people!) and share with your loved ones. Thanks for tuning in.
Until next time!